Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A tale of a spoon

This is a story about Renata and her (or my) spoon.

First, a little background of the story.
Renata is in Primary 3. Her school is located just behind our block. The school has a back gate which only opens in the morning before school starts and in the afternoon after school is finished. The trip to the back gate from our block is less than 5 minutes. Running, I can reach it within 2 minutes.

Besides her daily pocket money, I give Renata a 10 cent coin to keep in her wallet, just in case she needs to call me for an 'emergency'. Once she called to ask for a sciccor and glue for her art class. Another time she asked for her PE (sport) uniform. Both times, we dealt through the backdoor during her recess time. There is a gap in the door where we can pass things through.

Now, Rena has a problem with self confidence. She does not want to buy food from the school canteen because she is not competitive enough and she is not brave enough to speak up. She prefers taking food from home. I have no problem with that so I packed her food everyday. However, early this year, I realized that she needs to be trained to buy food in the canteen so once in a while I asked her to practice. So far she managed to buy fried rice, but the content was not what she wanted so she was not very pleased. Well, I am not blaming the auntie since she used her finger to talk, just pointing at the food.

This morning, I asked her to buy food in the canteen for her recess. She declined, so I gave her some fried rice I cooked for her breakfast.
Going back home this afternoon, I found her lunch box still full. Asking her why she did not eat, she said I forgot to put a spoon inside, so she could not eat. Instead of borrowing a spoon from one of the stalls, she ate half of her friend's sandwich because her friend 'had little appetite'. Well, she got a long lecture from me and my mom. Then, case closed.

Tonight, as I was tidying up the living room, I passed Rena her wallet. Then she told me that actually today she forgot to bring her wallet to school. "That's why, mama, I could not call you", she said. I stopped doing what I was doing. "And why do you need to call me? Are you going to ask me to pass you a spoon ?" She nodded. My reaction is "WHAT ?". Seriously.

I know it's my fault that I did not put the spoon in her lunch box. But to call and ask me to bring a spoon to school? I mean, come on.. she was eating in the school canteen. There were 8 food stalls. How come she (or her friend whose sandwich she ate) did not have the idea to borrow one? Is my girl really that smart ?

No comments:

Post a Comment